We are pleased to present our GB wholesale market summary for May 2021.
Highlights from the report include:
- May saw power prices rise to £72/MWh driven by the continued increase in gas and carbon prices
- The UK-ETS debuted on 19th May with allowances trading between £45–50/tCO2, ~8% higher than EU-ETS
- Driven by higher gas and carbon prices, thermal generation in May decreased to 9 TWh as renewables output increased
- Wind assets saw increased profitability in May as both load factors and capture prices increased by 11% and 12% respectively, relative to April
- Year-on-year, system demand has recovered from the economic slowdown caused by COVID-19, driving up carbon emissions to 91% above 2020 levels
This is free to view content, and a limited version of what our subscribers receive. Find out more about the work we do in the GB Power market, and get in touch for more information.