Crucial intelligence to understand the changing dynamics of the North American energy markets
North America is made up of 7 competitive power markets in the United States and 2 deregulated markets in Canada. These markets are comprised of dynamic and diverse policy landscapes where the demand for reliable, sustainable, and cost-effective energy solutions continues to grow.
With conflicting regulatory environments, notable transitions in the energy mix, and rapid technological advancements, it is now more important than ever to understand emerging opportunities and potential disruptions. Our detailed analysis and expert insights currently cover markets across North America including WECC, Alberta (AIES), CAISO, ERCOT, MISO, NYISO, ISO-NE, and PJM as we continue to expand across the continent.
A breakdown of our NORAM energy market coverage
What you need to know about the market
- Both the United States and Canadian federal Governments have increased their support for low-carbon initiatives including wind, solar, battery storage, and carbon capture technologies. In the United States, the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) supports the expansion of renewable capacity to over 850 GW—as in our Central Scenario—representing $385 billion in capital expenditure.
- North American power markets cover a vast geographical area, requiring additional investment in transmission infrastructure to transport power from high-renewable resource regions to load centers. The interconnection process poses challenges for renewable developers, leading to project delays or high connection costs that render projects unviable. This situation makes further reforms likely but increases developer uncertainty.
- Reliability concerns: Recent extreme winter events in ERCOT and PJM have underscored the vulnerability of power markets to cold weather. An aging thermal fleet, coupled with stricter federal emissions standards, will require investment in new dispatchable technologies to avoid future blackouts.
Which products are available?
Power & Renewables Service
Robust, transparent analysis, widely used and trusted amongst major market participants and bankable forecasts to support asset financing and in-depth analysis to underpin your investment strategies
Flexible Energy Service
Detailed analysis and granular forecasts for power, balancing, and ancillary service markets plus access to investment case data for a wide range of battery storage and gas peaker business models
Meet the team
Find out more!
Complete the form and our team will get back to you shortly.
How does a subscription work?
Subscribe to our products for comprehensive market analytics powered by our fundamental market model: Gain access to credible, reliable, and bankable forecasts.
Find everything in one place, EOS: The energy market hub hosting all your products and data.
Benefit from regular workshops, analyst support, and webinars examining our latest forecasts, key policy changes, and opportunities in the markets.
We offer custom advisory services that include:
- Transaction and financing support, using power flow studies and site-specific asset valuations at a nodal level using our proprietary modeling suite
- Strategy development for market entries, market sizing, portfolio diversification
For more information on our custom advisory services, get in touch with Francisco Ortega.
New products are now available! Click the button below to learn more: