- Oxford office
- Permanent full-time
Aurora’s modelling team create and maintain the energy models that underpin our subscription analytics, advisory, and software offerings. Our services are widely used by leading energy companies and investors.
Based in Oxford, you will be a senior member of Aurora’s modelling team. As a Senior Energy Modeller you will deploy state-of-the-art optimization techniques and best practice in software development to boost our existing modelling capabilities. You will manage junior colleagues in model development and play a strategic role in the enhancement of our power market models.
The successful candidate will combine excellent knowledge of programming and software development techniques, a track record of deploying optimization models, and a passion for the global energy transformation. They will work in a creative, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment. They will gain cutting edge knowledge of the energy sector and modelling techniques.
- Lead the implementation of optimization techniques to capture complex real-world issues within our models
- Drive forward best software development practices within the modelling team
- Work closely with our research, consulting, and SaaS teams to develop our models to best meet client requirements
- Mentor junior colleagues via code review, feedback session, and topical training
- Min 3 years relevant experience in field of optimization, ideally in commercial environment
- Familiarity in software engineering best practice (version control, automatic testing, writing modular code)
- Strong knowledge of mathematical optimization (Linear Programming, Dynamic Programming, MIP, etc)
- Excellent Python programming skills
- Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Exceptional problem solving skills and analytical ability
- Deep interest in energy and/or decarbonisation
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a great team player
- Relevant PhD
- Experience of leading teams in software/model development
- Knowledge of statistical and/or machine learning techniques
- Previous experience of implementing optimization models within an algebraic modelling language, such as GAMS or AMPL
What we offer
- An opportunity to apply optimization skills to novel and challenging problems at the forefront of the energy transition
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics