Aurora’s modelling team create and maintain the energy models that underpin our subscription analytics, advisory, and software offerings. Our services are widely used by leading energy companies and investors.
Successful candidates will work in a dynamic, stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will contribute to our energy modelling efforts by combining energy market knowledge with state-of-the-art optimization techniques. They will be given responsibility to lead model development projects and provide supervision and guidance to junior colleagues.
The position suits an experienced Modeller/Quantitative analyst from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-focused firm or institution. The successful candidate will combine technical ability with a strong track record of leadership and dependable performance in team-oriented environments.
- Lead the implementation of optimization techniques to capture complex real-world issues within our models.
- Work closely with our research and advisory teams to derive insights from model results.
- Contribute to continuously improving how the modelling team operates.
- Support the development of junior colleagues.
- Min 2 years relevant experience in the field of mathematical optimization (Linear Programming, Dynamic Programming, MIP, etc.…), ideally in a commercial environment
- Relevant degree in Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or other quantitative field from a top university
- Knowledge of one programming language, e.g. Python, Matlab, C++, R, Java,
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and analytical ability
- Deep interest in energy and/or decarbonization
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a great team player
- Relevant PhD
- Line management experience
- Familiarity in software engineering best practice (version control, automatic testing, writing modular code).
- Experience of developing power market models
- Excellent Python programming skills
What we offer
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
- An opportunity to apply quantitative skills to novel and challenging problems at the forefront of the energy transition.
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer, and we will explore what is possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to be the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence to drive strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of experts with vast energy, financial, and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon, and fossil commodities.
We are active across the globe in the APAC, LATAM, EMEA, and NORAM regions, working with leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software. We are a thriving, rapidly growing company, currently serving over 600 of the world’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors, and governments, and we expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.