Based in Oxford, you will be a part of Aurora’s global energy markets analysis team-producing our ongoing research and publications, developing new analysis, identifying client needs, and continuously enhancing the service we provide. You would join our team as soon as possible.
The scope of this role will be on Global Energy Markets (gas, coal and oil). This involves keeping abreast of, and providing insightful client reports on, key developments across the global energy markets, including consideration of how global energy commodities will be affected by decarbonisation policies and the emergence of low carbon technologies. Having recently expanded into APAC, the role will include analysis of the Asian energy markets.
The energy commodities team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the role is based in our research team, the successful applicant would also play a role in supporting commodities-focused projects undertaken in our Advisory team – which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory assignments.
The role is in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. Working as part of a close-knit team, you will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and the chance to grow into an industry expert. The position suits a recent graduate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s program with 0-1 year of relevant experience.
- Research key short- and long-term market trends and conduct analysis of policy developments in the gas, oil, and coal markets, contributing to the publication of regular forecast reports.
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the results of our commodities forecasting suite.
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making, e.g., in supporting financial transactions for energy assets.
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops, and conferences.
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis, helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base and impact.
- First class or high second-class degree in a relevant subject (Sciences, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Finance, Energy Policy).
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information.
- Demonstrated interest in energy markets, particularly natural gas, oil, coal or carbon.
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments.
- Excellent written communication.
- Native or professional-level competence in English.
- Demonstrated success in project management.
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties.
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, Advanced Excel, GAMS).
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
- Competence in Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other Asian languages.
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars.
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert.
- A fun, informal and international work culture.
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office.
- A competitive salary package.
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to be the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence to drive strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of experts with vast energy, financial, and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon, and fossil commodities.
We are active across the globe in the APAC, LATAM, EMEA, and NORAM regions, working with leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software. We are a thriving, rapidly growing company, currently serving over 600 of the world’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors, and governments, and we expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.