Aurora wouldn’t be an industry leader in providing energy market forecasts, analysis, insights, and consultancy without our successful commercial team. We are seeking a Business Development Associate (known internally as Commercial Associate) to sell our products and services which help the transition towards a more sustainable world. You will work in a dynamic pan-US team, responsible for sales and account management activities of our subscription services. You will play a key role in all aspects of client interactions and business development. The role will focus on creating/developing sales opportunities for our full range of products, primarily with customers based in PJM, Alberta, NYISO, ISONE, and MISO.
The successful candidate will combine a strong commercial mindset, great communication and relationship management skills, passion to develop new business, high eagerness to learn, and interest in energy markets. You will work in a young, dynamic, stimulating, demanding and collaborative environment. You will join our US commercial team, which is expected to grow and offer potential for progression, including through market expansion and creating new data and software-based solutions.
- Represent Aurora across the industry, with a comprehensive understanding of our offerings
- Qualify, develop, and maintain sales opportunities through the company and product knowledge, researching consumer needs and identifying how our solutions can meet them
- Generate leads and grow existing relationships to develop an active, repeat customer base
- Pursue plans to increase account value through cross-sell and up-sell opportunities
- Pitch our offerings to senior personnel and make proposals to existing and potential customers
- Negotiate and contract structured offers
- Use Salesforce CRM to ensure standard processes during all sales stages
- Provide account management to ensure excellent customer experience and high engagement
- Contribute to new product development and improve our existing offerings
- 1-3 years sales/business development experience, ideally in the power, renewables, or energy storage sector
- Relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Proven leadership experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as interpersonal skills to collaborate with both technically and non-technically minded people
- Results-driven, with a high degree of persistence in reaching goals and a hands-on approach to ensuring targets are achieved
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other CRM systems
- Experience in negotiating contractual terms with clients and drafting agreements
- Strong commercial mindset, including creativity and intuition for opportunities that create impact and commercial success
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and cope with uncertainty
- Enthusiasm for energy markets/technologies; previous professional exposure to energy and power markets is highly preferable
- Strong analytical capabilities, in business, economics, engineering or similar would be preferred
- Knowledge of at least one major North America power market, with a preference for CAISO, ERCOT, PJM, MISO, Alberta, NYISO, ISONE, and/or SPP
What we offer
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating and demanding yet supportive environment
- The opportunity to grow, learn and contribute to a rapidly growing international business
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- A brand-new office space in the vibrant and culturally rich East Austin Area
- A competitive salary package
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer, and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to be the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence to drive strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of experts with vast energy, financial, and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon, and fossil commodities.
We are active across the globe in the APAC, LATAM, EMEA, and NORAM regions, working with leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software. We are a thriving, rapidly growing company, currently serving over 600 of the world’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors, and governments, and we expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.