We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Technical Unit of the Power Markets team in our Oxford office. The successful candidate will play a key role in supporting Aurora’s growth, by developing tools for process automation and enhancing the efficiency of Aurora’s work.
The Technical Unit supports the work of individual country power market teams within the global range of Aurora. The team provides a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment.
The successful applicant will combine strong quantitative ability with a key interest in the energy industry and software development. The position suits a recent graduate of a master’s programme or young professionals with 1+ years of relevant software development experience at a research or consulting firm or a company in the energy sector. The exact entry position will be dependent on experience and educational level.
- Contribute to the development of Aurora’s suite of tools
- Contribute to company-wide product developments, investigating different methodological approaches
- Coordinate with other technical teams in Aurora
- Help to craft solutions for improving time-consuming processes and for automated quality checks
- Engage with Analysts to thoroughly understand their requirements and support them using tools
- Support internal teams in the context of market entry activities and ongoing product delivery
- Gain exposure to multiple power markets and broaden knowledge and understanding of different power market businesses and operating models
- A university degree in a quantitative subject, e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Power Engineering
- Keen interest in the energy industry and software development
- Experience with at least one programming language, e.g. Python, Matlab, C++, Julia
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments
- Strong communication skills and the ability to adapt your communication style for technical and non-technical audiences
- Fluent in English (C1 level or above)
- Prior experience and understanding of the fundamentals of power markets.
- Experience in data analytics and understanding complex systems.
- Software development experience from idea to release and user support.
- Skills in other technical languages e.g., SQL, DAX, VBA, R, Markdown, PowerQueryM
- Knowledge of data analytics and visualisation tools e.g., Power BI, Tableau
What we offer
- An opportunity to develop project management skills, technical skills, and subject matter expertise in the fast-changing energy industry
- An opportunity to grow with the company, take on further responsibilities and bring in your own ideas
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.