Aurora’s modelling team create and maintain the energy models that underpin our subscription analytics, advisory, and software offerings. Our services are widely used by leading energy companies and investors.
This is a unique international opportunity for a professional seeking to build their career in the energy section to join our Latin American region as an Energy Modeller. As an Energy Modeller, you will combine Energy market knowledge with state-of-the-art optimization techniques to boost our existing modelling capabilities. You will be based in Sao Paulo with opportunities for secondments to our Oxford office for training and onboarding purposes.
The successful candidate will combine an excellent knowledge of Energy Markets and optimization models as well as a passion for the global energy transformation. They will work in a creative, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment. They will gain cutting-edge knowledge of the energy sector and modelling techniques. There is the expectation for the successful candidate to grow into a team leader with further hires planned in the future.
- Lead the implementation of optimization techniques to capture complex real-world issues within our models.
- Work closely with our research and advisory teams to derive insights from model results.
- Contribute to continuously improving how the modelling team operates.
- Play a leading role in setting up Aurora’s Sao Paulo modelling hub.
- Min 2 years relevant experience in the field of mathematical optimization (Linear Programming, Dynamic Programming, MIP, etc..) ideally in a commercial environment.
- Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and analytical ability.
- Deep interest in energy and/or decarbonization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a great team player.
- Proficiency in English (C1 level).
- Relevant PhD.
- Line management experience.
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices (version control, automatic testing, writing modular code).
- Experience in developing power market models.
- Experience with advanced hydropower modelling approaches such as Stochastic programming (highly desirable).
What we offer
- An opportunity to apply quantitative skills to novel and challenging problems at the forefront of the energy transition.
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- A fun, informal and international work culture.
- A competitive salary package.
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills.
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.