European power markets are undergoing a fundamental transformation as we move to decarbonise the economy through electrification and growth in low carbon generation sources such as renewables, nuclear and Carbon Capture and Storage. This transition has profound implications for utilities, project developers, investors and supply chain companies – in terms of the financial returns for existing assets, as well as prospects for new investment. The market is constantly evolving through policy and regulatory reforms as well as the emergence of new business models.
We have developed a market leading suite of research services which provide analytics and insights to players across the European power market – helping to shine a light on developments across the power market and industry. Our services comprise a core Power Market Services for the major European power markets, plus dedicated services for Renewables, and Distributed and Flexible Energy. Together these provide insights on the development of power markets and implications for a range of power assets, as well as for policy and strategy. More than 300 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of existing generation capacity in the market and projects in development.
The Research Lead – Southern European Power Markets is a senior role leading power market analysis teams in France and Iberia (with potential to take over responsibility for further Southern European countries like Italy, Greece, Romania and Bulgaria in the future). The role holder would report directly to our Global Research Director (based in Oxford) but also work closely with the respective country managers.
You and your team will develop data-driven insights into the energy transition for both public and private sector clients, engage widely across the sector, provide thought leadership, and enhance clients’ decision-making.
Successful candidates will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will enjoy autonomy and opportunities to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
The position suits an experienced individual from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution. The successful candidate will combine leadership and management skills, a detailed knowledge of energy markets, and demonstrable performance in team-oriented environments.
The role holder will play a critical role in providing leadership to the team, with a focus on the following key aspects:
- Shaping the product strategy
- Developing analytical insights – working with teams to scope content and draw out insights from the analysis we produce
- Programme and resource management – working with the team to ensure delivery to timescale and to high quality standards
- Problem solving – getting to the root of issues, with an eye on the bigger picture
- Managing cross cutting projects to develop new product features and enhance processes
- Communicating research to senior stakeholders in industry and Government – e.g. through calls, meetings, webinars, events
- Leading engagement with clients – both existing clients and outreach to potential clients
- Mentoring and developing junior staff
- At least 4-6 years of relevant experience at a leading consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or other knowledge-driven firm or institution
- First class or high second-class university degree in a relevant quantitative subject
- Knowledge of power markets and associated policy frameworks in Europe (knowledge of power markets in France, Iberia or Italy would be advantageous)
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments
- Ability to analyse, interpret, and derive insight from complex quantitative data and information
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with both technically and non-technically minded parties
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Native or professional-level competence in English plus at least one other European language (French or Spanish would be highly advantageous)
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, Advanced Excel)
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
- Further language skills
- Established client network in European power markets
What we offer
- A dynamic, fast thinking, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- The opportunity to grow into an industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- City centre offices with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics