Based in our Oxford office, the Associates will be senior members of Aurora’s Global Energy Markets (gas, oil, and coal) team. One role will focus on European commodity markets, and the other role will focus on Asia Pacific (APAC) markets, in addition to broader analysis of global energy markets. The positions suit experienced analysts or consultants from top-tier strategic or economic consultancies, energy companies, financial services companies, or knowledge-driven firms or institutions. Prior experience in natural gas is essential. The Associates will play a critical role in all aspects of product delivery and development, as well as client engagement, and represent the company externally. The Associates will direct our research in the European and APAC commodities markets, deliver existing publications, conduct novel analysis, identify client business opportunities, and develop new services.
Successful candidates will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will enjoy autonomy and opportunities to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector. Successful candidates will grow into industry leaders under the guidance of Directors with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The Global Energy Markets team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil, and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the roles are based in our Subscription Analytics team, the successful applicants would also play a role in supporting projects undertaken in our Advisory team — which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory assignments.
- Leading Aurora’s research in the European or APAC natural gas markets and working closely with Aurora’s commodities modelling and power teams to develop regular market forecasts and novel analysis.
- Produce regular reports on global gas, oil, and coal markets.
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops, and conferences.
- Work and coordinate with other teams in the company across global offices and keep colleagues informed of developments in Europe or APAC.
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making, e.g., in supporting financial transactions for energy assets.
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis and helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base, and impact.
The Associates will report to the Global Energy Markets product manager and work within Aurora’s larger Subscription Analytics team.
- At least three years of experience in energy markets at an energy company, leading strategic or economic consultancy, energy trading house or brokerage, or financial services company.
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments.
- Demonstrated success in managing a team to deliver time-critical projects.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business.
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information.
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating and collaborating with both technical and non-technical parties.
- Excellent written communication.
- Competence in data tools (e.g., SQL, PowerBI, advanced Excel).
- Native or professional-level competence in English.
- For the role focusing on APAC, fluency in widely spoken east or south east Asian languages.
- Experience in European or APAC natural gas markets.
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions.
- Knowledge of key financial metrics and economic principles (NPV, IRR, DCF).
- First class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Sciences, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Finance).
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g., R, Python, GAMS, Matlab).
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD.
- For the role focusing on Europe, fluency in a European language.
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops, and webinars.
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert.
- A fun, informal, and international work culture.
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit, and snacks available in the office.
- A competitive salary package.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.