Based in Oxford, you will be a part of Aurora’s global energy markets analysis team — producing our ongoing research and publications, developing new analyses, identifying client needs, and continuously enhancing the service we provide.
The scope of these two roles will be on Global Energy Markets (gas, oil, and coal). One role will focus on North American markets, and the other role will focus on Latin America, in addition to a broader analysis of global markets. The roles involve keeping abreast of and providing insightful client reports on, key developments across global energy commodities markets, including consideration of how energy commodities will be affected by decarbonisation policies and the emergence of low-carbon technologies.
The energy commodities team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil, and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the roles are based in our Subscription Analytics team, the successful applicants would also play a role in supporting commodities-focused projects undertaken in our Advisory team — which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory.
Aurora provides a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. Working as part of a close-knit team, you will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and the chance to grow into an industry expert. The positions suit a recent graduate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s program, or career changers, with less than two years of relevant experience.
- Research key short- and long-term market trends and conduct analysis of policy developments in the gas, coal, and oil markets
- Work closely with Aurora’s commodities modelling and power teams to develop regular market forecasts and novel analysis
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision-making, e.g., in supporting financial transactions for energy assets
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops, and conferences
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis, helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base, and impact
- First-class or high second-class degree in a relevant subject (Sciences, Energy Policy, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Finance)
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse, and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Demonstrated interest in energy markets, particularly natural gas, oil, coal or carbon
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments
- Excellent written communication
- Native or professional-level competence in English
- For the role focusing on Latin America, fluency in both Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese/European Portuguese
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g., PowerBI, advanced Excel, R, Python, GAMS)
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
- Competence in other languages
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops, and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal, and international work culture
- Regular coaching and mentoring sessions
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit, and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.