Aurora’s Research team has developed a market leading suite of energy forecasts, analytics and intelligence reports for the GB market. Our services are used by a broad range of clients to navigate the latest market developments, deliver large scale investments, and bring new technologies to market that will enable the UK’s transition to Net-Zero.
This position sits within our GB Research team, collectively responsible for managing and delivering three key services for clients which comprise of a core GB Power Market service, plus dedicated services for GB Renewables and GB Distributed and Flexible Energy. Together, these provide insights on the development of the GB markets and implications for a range of power assets, as well as for policy and strategy. More than 100 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of existing generation capacity in the market, as well as developers, banks, and supply chain companies.
You will be responsible for developing and carrying out all key analysis and research for the GB Research service. Topics include, whole system analysis, energy policy and providing analysis on a range of technologies, including renewables, battery storage, CCGTs and its low carbon alternatives such as Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS) and hydrogen. The research carried out produced by this team aims to provide thought leadership on the energy transition and provides the opportunity to work with key governmental institutions and executives in the UK’s power sector.
The position suits someone with 1-3 years’ experience in the GB Power sector or a closely related field. This could include experience from a top-tier strategic or economic
consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution. The successful candidate will combine technical strength with a strong track
record of leadership and performance in team-oriented environments.
- Develop and carry out timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the model results
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities and expanding our capabilities
- Monitor market activity and keep abreast of latest renewables developments
- Engage with clients to thoroughly understand their requirements
- Communicate findings to clients in bilateral workshops and conferences
- First class or high second-class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Engineering, Finance)
- An ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments
- An ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties
- Diligent, organised and takes a proactive approach to undertaking research
- Demonstrated success in project management preferred
- Fluency in a second language beneficial but not essential
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, Advanced Excel)
- It would be highly advantageous to have existing knowledge of the GB power market or energy markets in general
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of around 200 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Berlin, Sydney and Austin, and more opening soon. We currently serve around 400 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.