We seek an energetic leader, with a passion for analytical excellence and a desire to influence key energy sector decisions, to join the leadership group of our UK and Ireland Commissioned Projects (CP) team based in Oxford.
CP is the bespoke advisory arm of Aurora Energy Research where we apply our models, databases, analytical skills and industry knowledge to advise clients across the energy sector. This includes advice on government policy as well as all parts of the investment cycle including strategy, market scanning, valuation and transaction support, forecasting and planning, and operational improvements. We advise across the whole sector but our principals and project leaders will typically develop deep expertise and strong client relationships within at least one sub-sector (e.g. renewables, energy storage, hydrogen).
The successful candidate will report directly to Aurora’s Managing Director for UK and Ireland, Dan Monzani, and become as a key member of the leadership group of our Commissioned Projects team. You can expect immediate responsibility for project delivery, business development and team leadership.
The role offers substantial opportunity to develop your knowledge of the energy industry and build your analytical and management skills in a highly supportive, fast-moving environment with excellent career progression prospects. Previous principals from this team have gone on to lead Aurora’s country teams as we enter new markets worldwide.
- Project delivery. You will oversee teams of analysts and energy modellers to deliver projects. You will ensure client expectations are met through deciding the right analytical approach, leading problem-solving, ensuring high quality delivery, and communicating insights clearly. You will provide senior oversight of 2-3 simultaneous projects, all meeting high expectations for the quality of our quantitative analysis.
- Developing new consulting business. You will both work with managers across the team to respond successfully to inbound requests for proposals and by identifying opportunities through establishing and deepening client relationships and building an external profile as an expert within the energy sector.
- Leadership. You will be able to demonstrate your past track record in developing teams, improving performance and inspiring people to develop to their full potential. You will proactively identify where we could do things better and work effectively with others in the team and across Aurora to led business change initiatives.
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience – for example, in top-tier management consultancy or industry. You should be equally passionate about delivering high quality analytical projects and developing our people.
- Intellectual and analytical excellence. You will have experience leading projects using advanced quantitative analysis. You should be able to demonstrate how your personal impact creates the highest quality products for clients combining first class analytics and modelling with clear presentation of insights.
- Strong project management skills, including scoping deliverable projects, ensuring their execution, and managing client expectations.
- Proven ability to win new business, both through writing compelling proposals in response to client requests, and through proactive business development.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and empathetic leadership style. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record for inspiring their teams, raising performance and developing their people.
- Collaborative by nature – always looking for the next innovation to help our clients and actively seeking opportunities to work effectively across our subscription research and software teams to improve our offer.
- Native or professional-level competence in English.
Experience in the energy industry is highly desirable, but not essential if you can demonstrate transferrable skills and experience as well as the desire to contribute to Aurora’s mission and the relevant consulting, analytical and leadership skills.
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available
- A competitive salary package
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of around 200 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Berlin, Sydney and Austin, and more opening soon. We currently serve around 400 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.