In this highly visible role, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and guidance across Aurora’s business, with a focus on Aurora’s global commercial contracting and its European operations. Working with Aurora’s Senior Legal Counsel, the Legal Counsel will be involved in the full range a diverse commercial, corporate and compliance work dealt with by Aurora’s Legal Team.
Successful candidates will be expected to build and maintain excellent relationships across the organisation, requiring confidence in managing relationships with people at senior levels both internally and externally. This along with the ability to work independently, have exceptional attention to detail, and adaptable in a fast-moving environment are key. You must have excellent organisational skills and be a confident communicator, IT and problem-solving skills are vital.
- Work with domestic and international business units on legal issues relating to sales and operations, contracts, and general commercial business matters.
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts (including product sales agreements, services agreements, license agreements, consulting agreements, and non-disclosure agreements)
- Continuously improve and develop Aurora’s contractual templates and processes and provide training to the wider Aurora business on the same.
- Coordinate with local counsel in various markets in relation to local laws and compliance, including in relation to the incorporation and set-up of subsidiary offices.
- Protect Aurora from legal action by interpreting laws and ensuring it meets UK and international legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide advice concerning business transactions with customers, financial institutions, shareholders, directors, officers and others.
Other work may from time to time include:
- Manage outside counsel as needed for areas of expertise outside company competency.
- Consult with and advise senior management on complex or highly critical issues.
- Assist and advise Aurora’s parent company, Emperor UK Topco Limited, with corporate law and company secretary matters.
- Act as resource to business units and employees on legal and other business matters, with open door policy so that employees feel comfortable seeking legal advice.
- Strong legal pedigree with legal qualification being a strong preference.
- Preferably c. 1-3 PQE within a commercial or corporate practice at an international law firm or in-house at an international business.
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of the fundamentals of company law.
- Excellent judgment preferably with experience of advising senior management teams and/or other senior stakeholders.
- Strong negotiating skills and sound commercial judgment, and able to balance with legal considerations
- Strong presentation skills with experience of providing legal training .
- Analytical thinker with ability to plan, anticipate and evaluate systematically, juggle multiple workstreams in a fast-paced environment and act quickly and decisively.
- Exceptional writing, analytical and communication skills
- Flexible, roll-up-sleeves approach
- Prior energy industry experience a plus
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars.
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert.
- A fun, informal and international work culture.
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package.
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 300 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, and more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.