European power markets are undergoing a fundamental transformation as we move to decarbonise the economy through electrification and growth in low carbon generation sources such as renewables, nuclear and Carbon Capture and Storage. This transition has profound implications for utilities, project developers, investors and supply chain companies – in terms of the financial returns for existing assets, as well as prospects for new investment. The market is constantly evolving through policy and regulatory reforms as well as the emergence of new business models.
Aurora has developed a market leading suite of subscription-based market analytics services which provide analytics and insights to players across the European power market – helping to shine a light on developments across the power market and industry. Our services comprise a core Power & Renewables Market Services for the major European power markets, plus dedicated services for Flexible Energy Markets. Together these provide insights on the development of power markets and implications for a range of power assets (renewables, batteries, thermal), as well as for policy and strategy. More than 600 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of existing generation capacity in the market and projects in development.
Based in Oxford, the Head of Research UK & Ireland is a senior role leading a team of around 15 analysts and associates, with a remit to manage and grow Aurora’s suite of power market research services in these markets. You and your team will develop data-driven insights into the energy transition for both public and private sector clients, engage widely across the sector, provide thought leadership, and enhance clients’ decision-making.
Successful candidates will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will enjoy autonomy and opportunities to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
The position suits an experienced individual from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution. The successful candidate will combine leadership and management skills, a detailed knowledge of energy markets, and demonstrable performance in team-oriented environments.
- Shaping and executing Aurora’s product strategies for UK and Ireland
- Delivery insightful content – working with teams to scope content and draw out insights from the analysis we produce
- Programme and resource management – working with the team to ensure delivery to timescale and to high quality standards
- Problem solving – getting to the root of issues, with an eye on the bigger picture
- Managing cross cutting projects to develop new product features and enhance processes
- Communicating research to senior stakeholders in industry and Government – e.g. through calls, meetings, webinars, events
- External engagement – using your expertise to develop an external profile as a thought leader, engaging with the media and speaking at events
- Leading engagement with clients – both existing clients and outreach to potential clients
- Recruiting, mentoring and developing staff
- Working closely with our software solutions team to enable the development of new software products which build on the work of the research team
- At least 8-10 years of experience at a leading consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or other knowledge-driven firm or institution
- First class or high second-class university degree in a relevant quantitative subject
- Detailed knowledge of power markets and associated policy frameworks (in GB and Ireland in particular)
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments
- Ability to analyse, interpret, and derive insight from complex quantitative data and information
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with both technically and non-technically minded parties
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Native or professional-level competence in English
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, Advanced Excel)
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
What we offer
- A dynamic, fast thinking, and supportive environment.
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
- The opportunity to grow into an industry expert.
- A fun, informal and international work culture.
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office.
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills.
- A competitive salary.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.