This is a unique international opportunity for a professional seeking to build their career in the energy sector to join our Asia-Pacific region as an Energy Modeller. You will initially be based in Sydney, Australia, before moving permanently to a new office in Singapore in early 2024. The role will focus on modelling energy commodities (notably electricity) markets, contributing to our efforts by developing analytical and computational tools, enhancing our modelling methodology, analysing data, formulating recommendations on future trends, and conveying insights to enhance clients’ decision-making.
- Lead the implementation of optimization techniques to capture complex real-world issues within our models.
- Work closely with our research and advisory teams to derive insights from model results
- Contribute to continuously improving how the modelling team operates
- Support the development of junior colleagues.
- Min 2 years relevant experience in the field of mathematical optimization, ideally in a commercial environment
- Relevant degree in Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or another quantitative field from a top university
- Knowledge of one programming language, e.g. Python, Matlab, C++, R, Java,
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and analytical ability
- Deep interest in energy and/or decarbonization
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a great team player
- Relevant PhD
- Line management experience
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices (version control, automatic testing, writing modular code)
- Experience in developing Energy market models
What we offer
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- An opportunity to apply quantitative skills to novel and challenging problems at the forefront of the energy transition
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- A competitive salary package
- Access to regular coaching and mentoring sessions and the opportunity to learn from experienced HR professionals
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.