Aurora’s SaaS team builds data and analytics software products that support our customers’ strategic decisions on the road to a carbon-free future. Widely adopted by leading energy companies and investors, our software combines sophisticated technology, wealth of market data and expertise, and great user experience.
We are currently looking for an entrepreneurial Data Product Lead to build and execute Aurora’s data product strategy. This includes building new data products, taking ownership of the existing ones, and building and expanding our data product team and capabilities. Data products are curated data sets that users directly access, as well as the interfaces built on top of such data sets, and they constitute an integral part of Aurora’s offering.
To produce our forecasts and analyses, Aurora uses very large amounts of public and proprietary data related to energy markets. As the Data Product Lead, you will build products and capabilities enabling the best use of that data – along with our forecasts and analyses – for Aurora and our clients. You will break down data silos, identify opportunities for data commercialisation, and work with internal and external customers to develop data solutions best addressing their needs. You will lead the work of a cross-functional team including software developers and data analysts. You will report directly to the Digital Solutions Director.
The successful candidate will combine strong track record in managing complex projects and/or products, entrepreneurial drive, and strong data skills, including collecting, querying, processing and visualising data. They will have deep interest in the global energy transition, and ability to switch fluently between high-level strategy and detailed product decisions. They will work in a creative, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment. They will gain cutting edge knowledge of the energy sector, develop and hone relationships with Aurora’s clients and vitally contribute to one of Aurora’s key strategic priorities.
We expect the role to be based in our HQ in Oxford, UK, but we will also consider candidates wishing to work from Aurora’s regional offices in Berlin, Germany or Austin, TX.
- Drive and define the overall data product vision and strategy
- Assume ownership of existing data products
- Identify, prioritise, and lead the delivery of new data products by a cross-functional team of engineers, developers and analysts
- Build and maintain product roadmaps, making key decisions on feature prioritisation
- Lead international expansion of our data products
- Work closely with external/internal clients to deeply understand their use cases and to translate them into data product requirements
- Identify data gaps and new data sources to develop and improve data products
- Build an effective team of junior product managers ready to assume responsibility for individual data products as they expand
- Work closely with the commercial team to drive product adoption and customer success
- Min. 4 years of experience and a proven track record of successfully managing complex projects that require significant cross-functional coordination
- Ability to manage a complex stakeholder matrix
- Excellent communication and analytical skills evidenced by appropriate professional and educational track record
- Great attention to detail and ability to switch fluently between high-level strategic considerations and details of implementation
- Deep interest in energy and/or decarbonisation
- Data fluency – deep experience and expertise in identification, quality assessment, processing, analysis, and visualisation of data, as well as insight generation and data-driven communication
- Experience using SQL
- Start-up/entrepreneurial experience
- Product management experience
- Experience in data product roles
- Experience working with software development teams
- Coding skills in Python
- Mastery of SQL
- Experience building and leading a team
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops, and webinars
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- A competitive salary package
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
- The opportunity to significantly shape Aurora’s product strategy
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 250 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Berlin, Madrid, Sydney and Austin, and more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.