We are seeking a Business Development Manager (known internally as Commercial Manager). Based in Austin, you will be a senior member on our dynamic and multi-national commercial team in an intellectually stimulating environment. You will play a key role in all aspects of business development and client relationship management of our energy analytics subscription and software-as-a-service business. You will lead a team of 3-5 Commercial Associates covering North American power markets including ERCOT, CAISO, PJM, MISO, NYISO, ISONE, Alberta, SPP, and WECC.
Aurora wouldn’t be an industry leader in providing energy market forecasts, analysis, insights, and consultancy without our successful commercial team. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual to develop, inspire and manage a growing team of young, ambitious and fast-learning team members. You will report to Aurora’s North America Commercial Head and develop jointly our go-to-market strategy, critically influence our product and service development, and build a successful team with necessary processes and systems. The position offers excellent career progression opportunities which include international expansion and/or extended leadership positions in the commercial team.
Successful candidates will combine a strong business development mindset, superior communication and relationship management skills, a high interest in and good understanding of energy and power markets, experience in managing a sales team and related commercial processes, coupled with a strong track record of performance in team-oriented environments leading to commercial success.
- Provide leadership and manage a team of 3-5 team of (Senior) Commercial Associates while keeping and building on a positive, strong and supportive team culture
- Maintain and expand a pipeline of opportunities through acquisition and cross-selling
- Guide the team on contracting and take an active role in agreements which require bespoke contract structures
- Jointly define the go-to-market and commercialization strategy for our energy analytics subscription business for North America
- Ensure established sales and account management processes are followed
- Work with global region leads to maintain consistency across the company
- Take responsibility to improve and refine processes, tools, and support systems that will create an effective and efficient commercial organization by liaising with our Commercial Operations, Commercial Sales, Marketing, and Events teams
- Experience building systems and processes, with minimal oversight
- Proactively build a network of strategic relationships and business partnerships in client organizations across North America
- Manage a portfolio of existing key client accounts, developing a trusted advisor relationship with key customer stakeholders and executives
- Support the development of marketing plans and provide hands-on support in developing marketing initiatives
- Contribute to new product development and improvement of our existing services
- Represent Aurora in a range of client meetings, conferences, and social gatherings
- 3-5 years sales/business development experience, ideally in subscription-based data and energy analytics sector
- Relevant Master’s degree
- Proven experience of building and/or leading a team of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as interpersonal skills to collaborate with both technically and non-technically minded people
- Results-driven, with a high degree of persistence in reaching goals and a hands-on approach to ensuring targets are achieved
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other CRM systems
- Experience in negotiating contractual terms with clients and drafting agreements
- Strong commercial mindset, including creativity and intuition for opportunities that create impact and commercial success
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and cope with uncertainty
- Enthusiasm for and good knowledge of energy markets/technologies; previous professional exposure to energy and power markets is highly preferable
- Strong analytical capabilities, in business, economics, engineering or similar would be preferred
- Knowledge of at least one major North America power market, with a preference for CAISO, ERCOT, PJM, MISO, Alberta, NYISO, ISONE, and/or SPP
What we offer
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating and demanding yet supportive environment
- The opportunity to grow, learn and contribute to a rapidly growing international business
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- A brand-new office space in the vibrant and culturally rich East Austin Area
- A competitive salary package
At Aurora, we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at the interview stage about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
Start dates are flexible, please indicate your earliest possible start date. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Reference letters, if applicable
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 400 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.