- Oxford office
- Permanent full-time
Based in Oxford, you will lead Aurora’s global energy markets analysis team – responsible for producing our research and publications. You will play a critical role in all aspects of product delivery and development, as well as client engagement, and representing the company externally. You will direct our ongoing research, manage existing publications, conduct novel analysis, identify client needs and new business opportunities, and develop new services. You will develop data-driven strategic insights into the energy transition for both public and private sector clients; and manage junior colleagues in developing analysis and insights.
The scope of this role will be on Global Energy Markets (gas, coal and oil) with a particular focus on European gas markets. This involves keeping abreast of, and providing insightful client reports on, key developments across the global energy markets, including consideration of how global energy commodities will be affected by decarbonisation policies and the emergence of low carbon technologies.
The energy markets team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil, and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the role is based in our research team, the successful applicant would also play a role in supporting commodities-focused projects undertaken in our Commissioned Projects team – which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory assignments.
The role is in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, demanding yet supportive environment. The candidate will enjoy autonomy, the ability to shape the company’s research agenda, and the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector. The successful candidate will grow into an industry leader under the guidance of directors with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The position suits an experienced senior analyst/associate/consultant from an energy company, top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy trading house or brokerage, or financial services company. The successful candidate will combine technical strength with a strong track record of leading a team and performance in team-oriented environments.
- Produce regular forecast reports, and well as novel analysis, on the gas, coal and oil markets
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops and conferences
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the results of our commodities forecasting suite
- Work with other teams in the company across global offices to develop forecast scenarios, and keep colleagues informed of the developments in the energy markets, and price forecasts
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making, e.g. in supporting financial transactions for energy assets
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis, helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base and impact
- At least 3 years of experience in energy markets at an energy company, leading strategic or economic consultancy, energy trading house or brokerage, or financial services company
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments
- Demonstrated success in managing a team to deliver time-critical projects
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating and collaborating with both technical and non-technical parties
- Excellent written communication
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, Advanced Excel)
- First class or high second class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Sciences, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Finance)
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- Regular coaching and mentoring sessions
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics