- Oxford office
- Permanent full-time
The GB power market is undergoing a fundamental transformation as we move to decarbonise our economy through electrification, growth in low carbon generation and decentralised, flexible energy sources. This transition has profound implications for all stakeholders across the energy sector, and the market is constantly evolving through policy and regulatory reforms, as well as the emergence of new business models.
Aurora’s Research team has developed a market leading suite of energy forecasts, analytics and intelligence reports for the GB market. Our services are used by a broad range of clients to navigate the latest market developments, deliver large scale investments, and bring new technologies to market that will enable the UK’s transition to Net Zero.
Our three GB services comprise a core GB Power Market Service, plus dedicated services for GB Renewables and GB Distributed and Flexible Energy. Together, these provide insights on the development of the GB markets and implications for a range of power assets, as well as for policy and strategy. More than 100 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of existing generation capacity in the market, as well as developers, banks, and supply chain companies.
Reporting to the GB Research Lead, you will be responsible for managing the Distributed and Flexible Energy service for Great Britain, conducting research on relevant technologies (battery storage, demand side response, thermal peaking assets and hybrid models) and associated markets, policies and regulations, and commercial models. Based in Oxford, you will lead a team of analysts in managing and expanding our product offering and play a critical role in all aspects of product delivery and development, as well as client engagement.
The successful candidate will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and to grow into industry leaders under the guidance of Directors with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The position suits an experienced analyst or associate from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution.
The successful candidate will combine technical strength with a strong track record of leadership and performance in team-oriented environments.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience at a leading consultancy, energy company, investment bank, or other knowledge-driven firm or institution
- First class or high second-class university degree in a quantitative subject (Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, Finance)
- Previous experience of working on energy-related projects or policy – particularly in a GB/European context
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments
- Ability to analyse, interpret, and derive insight from complex quantitative data and information
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with both technically and non-technically minded parties
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- It would be highly advantageous to have existing knowledge of flexible energy technologies and markets in GB or other European power markets
- Leadership experience demonstrated by previous roles of professional responsibility or extracurricular activities
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Excellent written communication
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the center of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics