Based in Oxford, the Associate will be a senior member in Aurora’s Global Energy Markets (gas, coal and oil) team, and have a focus on forecasting the US gas markets. The position suits an experienced analyst or consultant from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution. Prior experience in natural gas is essential. The Associate will play a critical role in all aspects of product delivery and development, as well as client engagement, and represent the company externally. The Associate will direct our research in the US gas market, deliver existing publications, conduct novel analysis, identify client business opportunities, and develop new services.
Successful candidates will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. They will enjoy autonomy and opportunities to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector. The successful candidate will grow into an industry leader under the guidance of Directors with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The Global Energy Markets team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil, and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the role is based in our research team, the successful applicant would also play a role in supporting projects undertaken in our Commissioned Projects team – which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory assignments.
- Leading Aurora’s research in the US natural gas markets and working closely with the modelling team and US power teams to develop regular market forecasts and novel analysis
- Produce regular reports on global gas, coal, and oil markets
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops, and conferences
- Work and coordinate with other teams in the company across global offices and keep colleagues informed of developments in the US gas and other energy markets
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making, e.g., in supporting financial transactions for energy assets
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis, helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base, and impact The Associate will report to the Global Energy
- Markets product manager and work within Aurora’s larger Research and Publications team
- At least 3 years of experience in energy markets at an energy company, leading strategic or economic consultancy, energy trading house or brokerage, or financial services company
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments
- Demonstrated success in managing a team to deliver time-critical projects
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse, and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating and collaborating with both technical and non-technical parties
- Excellent written communication
- Competence in data tools (e.g., SQL, PowerBI, advanced Excel)
- Native or professional-level competence in English
- Experience in US natural gas markets
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Knowledge of key financial metrics and economic principles (NPV, IRR, DCF)
- First class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Sciences, Mathematics,
- Economics, Engineering, Finance)
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g., Python, GAMS, R, Matlab)
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 250 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Berlin, Madrid, Sydney and Austin, and more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.