Joining our Oxford office, you will contribute to the firm by developing analysis and conveying insights to enhance clients’ decision making. You will play an active role in supporting internal and external clients to navigate their way through diverse European power markets in the context of market entry activities or strategic investment decisions.
You will join the Pan-European Power Markets team, which is a transversal (horizontal) team that both supports and integrates the work of individual country power market teams within Aurora. This provides you with the opportunity to gain exposure to multiple European power markets on a regular basis, and thus broaden your knowledge and understanding of different power market business and operating models.
The successful applicant will combine strong quantitative ability with a track record of performance in team-oriented environments in the energy sector. You will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. You will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and to grow into an industry expert under the guidance of directors with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The position suits a professional with 2+ years of relevant experience at a research or consulting firm or a company in the energy sector. The exact entry position will be dependent on experience and educational level.
- Support the Pan-European product leads to deliver rigorous quantitative analysis in one or more thematic areas such as offshore wind or batteries.
- Work closely with country analytics teams to assess and synthesise quantitative metrics from their market models and derive actionable insights for internal or external use.
- Support analysis of pan-European policy and market trends and support country teams to quantify their impact on national power markets
- Support regular benchmarking of key inputs to models across the Aurora business, including technology costs and technology operating parameters
- Support Advisory-type engagements from time to time, by engaging with clients to thoroughly understand their requirements and scoping and delivering quantifiable analyses, supported by Aurora’s power market modelling
- Draw insights out of the analysis you produce and communicate findings to internal and external clients by creating compelling presentations
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities, supporting business development activities and expanding the team’s capabilities.
- Mentor and develop junior staff such as graduates and interns.
- At least 2 years of experience at a leading consultancy, energy company, investment bank, or other knowledge-driven firm or institution (e.g. think tank, research or university institute)
- Prior experience and understanding of the fundamentals of power markets.
- A university degree in either:
- A quantitative subject, coupled with a keen interest in policy developments.
- A social science, environmental studies or a related field, coupled with some experience in quantitative analysis.
- A proven ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties
- Demonstrated success in project and process management in team-oriented environments.
- Proficiency (C1 level) in English
- Prior experience in the project cycle for the delivery of offshore wind or battery projects
- Proficiency (C1 level) in at least one further European language besides English
- The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector.
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert.
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- A competitive salary package.
- Company Benefits program including public transport subsidies, bike leasing and more.
- Access to the Aurora Academy, our training programme offering a range of opportunities to develop your skills.
At Aurora we will consider all requests for flexible working. For most roles, the following types of flexibility are usually possible: a hybrid model of remote and in-office working, part-time hours and flexible start and finish times. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility we could offer and we will explore what’s possible for the role.
The Company is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.
The successful candidate would start as soon as possible. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your:
- Brief cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Earliest possible start date
From its academic roots, Aurora Energy Research has grown to become the largest dedicated power market analytics company in Europe, providing data-driven intelligence for strategic decisions in the global energy transformation. We are a diverse team of more than 350 experts with vast energy, financial and consulting backgrounds, covering power, hydrogen, carbon and fossil commodities. We are active in Europe, Australia and the US, working with world-leading organisations to provide comprehensive market intelligence, bespoke analytic and advisory services, and cutting-edge software.
We are a thriving, rapidly growing company with offices in Oxford, Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Austin TX and Oakland CA, with more opening soon. We currently serve around 600 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and products to our portfolio.