- Oxford office
- Permanent full-time
Based in Oxford, you will be a part of Aurora’s global energy markets analysis team– producing our ongoing research and publications, developing new analysis, identifying client needs, and continuously enhancing the service we provide. You will develop data-driven strategic insights into the energy transition and decarbonisation for both public and private sector clients.
The scope of this role will be on Global Energy Markets (gas, coal and oil) with a particular focus on European Gas markets. This involves keeping abreast of, and providing insightful client reports on, key developments across the global energy markets, including consideration of how global energy commodities will be affected by decarbonisation policies and the emergence of low carbon technologies.
The energy commodities team produces Aurora’s central outlook and scenarios for the development of gas, oil, and coal markets, which underpin Aurora’s analysis of power markets. Although the role is based in our research team, the successful applicant would also play a role in supporting commodities-focused projects undertaken in our Commissioned Projects team – which in the past has included transactions and strategic advisory assignments.
The role is in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. The analyst will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector. The successful candidate will grow into an industry leader under the guidance of managers with deep experience addressing major strategic issues at the world’s leading advisory firms.
The position suits an experienced analyst or consultant from a top-tier strategic or economic consultancy, energy company, financial services company, or knowledge-driven firm or institution.
- Research key short- and long-term market trends and conduct analysis of policy developments in the gas, oil and coal markets, contributing to the publication of quarterly forecast reports
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the results of our commodities forecasting suite
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making, e.g. in supporting financial transactions for energy assets
- Engage with clients with the support of your manager to thoroughly understand their requirements
- Communicate findings to clients through meetings, calls, workshops and conferences
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities for intellectually interesting and commercially relevant areas of analysis, helping to expand our capabilities, subscription base and impact
- First class or high second class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Engineering, Finance)
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and interpret complex quantitative data and information
- Minimum two years’ experience in analysing energy markets. Expertise in the economics of oil, coal, gas and carbon is desirable, though not essential
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments
- Excellent written communication
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Demonstrated success in client-facing positions
- Competence in advanced data analytics (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, Advanced Excel, GAMS)
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD
What we offer
- The opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector
- Direct engagement with clients through Aurora conferences, workshops and webinars
- The opportunity to grow into a publicly visible industry expert
- A fun, informal and international work culture
- Regular coaching and mentoring sessions
- An office in the centre of Oxford with coffee, fruit and snacks available in the office
- A competitive salary package
Founded in 2013 by University of Oxford professors and economists who saw the need for a deeper focus on quality analysis, we have grown to become the largest dedicated energy analytics provider in Europe.
- Subscription analytics